Sunday, May 8, 2011

Kathleen

I don't know why I have such issues with writing in my blog.  I'm on here all the time checking out other people's blogs and listening to my playlist.  I just think, later I can do it, and then later is past the moment and seems too late now.  But maybe it is appropriate to finally write about this today.

So, here's the biggest moment in our lives that I didn't write about last month:



My mother-in-law, Kathleen Johnston, passed away April 8th. She was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma around the first of March, I think, and it had already spread to other areas of her body.  She took a couple of weeks to decide how or if she wanted to be treated, and by then it had spread even more.  Her last week I was privileged to spend many hours at her house helping my sisters-in-law to take care of her as she died at home under hospice care. It's something I'll always be grateful that I was a part of.  I had never felt particularly close to her as her daughter-in-law -- I think we both weren't sure what to think of each other -- and my independence and her brusqueness (or my perception of it anyway) kind of kept us apart.  But I felt close to her as I helped take care of her, and just felt so grateful that when she needed someone I could be there.  Even though we'll miss having her here, I know she's happier with her husband and son above.  And I'm so grateful for her raising Jim and helping to mold him as the person he is today.  Love you, Kathleen :).

Here's a few more pics from the funeral (thanks to Colene, as my camera is still misplaced):

 Her casket was made by one of Jim's cousins.

 A pic of all the immediate family that was there.  Did you notice how Joe joined the women sitting -- haha. That's Adam and Aaron Griggs in the back -- so glad they could make it, and fun to see them all grown up.

 Joe, Linda, Susan, Jim, and Robert

A more natural pose :)

No comments:

Post a Comment