I thought I'd update on what's been going on here the last week or so. Last Friday Jim had a shoulder replacement surgery, and everything went well with that. This is his 3rd replacement of a joint, and unfortunately, not his last. The doctors aren't sure exactly what happened, but at some point in his (probably) early life he had some kind of arthritis that destroyed a lot of the cartilage in his joints. So, with the ones that have been replaced so far: right hip, left knee, and now right shoulder; the doctors have said after the surgeries how bad off the joints were, and were worse than they thought Anyway, I can't imagine all the pain he must have all the time, but he's not really a big complainer about it.
So, the surgery went well, and now he has to wear a sling for 4-6 weeks while his shoulder heals. I think it's been the easiest recovery so far, because it seems like he can take care of himself more, but Jim's not happy wearing a sling all the time, and especially having to use his left hand for everything. I think he's doing a great job, though.
My parents came up for a quick visit and to take care of the kids while I was gone all day on that Friday for his surgery. They were nice enough to stick around on Saturday, too, so I could drive back to the hospital and visit Jim, and then he came home on Sunday. Anyway, my dad kept busy planting 14 tomato plants he brought up for me, and an apple tree we picked out while they were here. I'm so excited to finally have a start of a garden; I've been procrastinating with all the wind and wierd weather we've had recently, plus I'll need to put up a fence to keep rabbits out. The girls and I dug 3 more rows for planting yesterday, and that nearly wiped us out. Now we need to start planting...
Oh yeah, I have a couple of funny kid stories to share: Jim and I thought they were hilarious anyway... First, with Lissy:
The other day we were all in the kitchen/dining area working on various projects when I realized Lissy wasn't with us, which is ALWAYS A BAD SIGN. So, I call out, "Lissy! What are you doing?" And I hear her voice coming from my bathroom, "Oh, I'm not playing with your make-up." Yeah, right, I say. I'm so glad she's always telling me what she's NOT doing. Or when she tells me not to look as she scurries away with something in her hand or when she tells me not to say anything to her as she sneakily tries to make her way past me. She is always into something, and I'm constantly warning the girls that if they want to keep their treasured things and not have it destroyed or lost, they need to put it up high or hide it so she can't get to it.
The 2nd story involves Kira: The two of us and probably Lissy were in the car driving home; Kira was in the front chattering away, and I was half-listening when I hear her say, "...and we should never say the F-word, right Mom?" "Um, yeah, we shouldn't. Wait, um, what is the F-word?" I say, casually. "Oh Mom! You know. F-A-T!!", she spells. "Ohhh, right, yes, we shouldn't use that word." :) I wish that were the only word we had to worry about....Wouldn't it be nice not to have to worry about other words in movies or books :)??
Well, that's mostly it. We got the kids' grade reports and next year's teacher assignments. They all did really well, and Kate got Mrs. Porras for the 4th grade; Brynna will have Mrs. Byrd for 3rd grade (whom she's excited and pleased about) and Kira will have Mrs. Lopez for 1st grade (whom I've also heard good things about).
Some pics to end with:
So, the surgery went well, and now he has to wear a sling for 4-6 weeks while his shoulder heals. I think it's been the easiest recovery so far, because it seems like he can take care of himself more, but Jim's not happy wearing a sling all the time, and especially having to use his left hand for everything. I think he's doing a great job, though.
My parents came up for a quick visit and to take care of the kids while I was gone all day on that Friday for his surgery. They were nice enough to stick around on Saturday, too, so I could drive back to the hospital and visit Jim, and then he came home on Sunday. Anyway, my dad kept busy planting 14 tomato plants he brought up for me, and an apple tree we picked out while they were here. I'm so excited to finally have a start of a garden; I've been procrastinating with all the wind and wierd weather we've had recently, plus I'll need to put up a fence to keep rabbits out. The girls and I dug 3 more rows for planting yesterday, and that nearly wiped us out. Now we need to start planting...
Oh yeah, I have a couple of funny kid stories to share: Jim and I thought they were hilarious anyway... First, with Lissy:
The other day we were all in the kitchen/dining area working on various projects when I realized Lissy wasn't with us, which is ALWAYS A BAD SIGN. So, I call out, "Lissy! What are you doing?" And I hear her voice coming from my bathroom, "Oh, I'm not playing with your make-up." Yeah, right, I say. I'm so glad she's always telling me what she's NOT doing. Or when she tells me not to look as she scurries away with something in her hand or when she tells me not to say anything to her as she sneakily tries to make her way past me. She is always into something, and I'm constantly warning the girls that if they want to keep their treasured things and not have it destroyed or lost, they need to put it up high or hide it so she can't get to it.
The 2nd story involves Kira: The two of us and probably Lissy were in the car driving home; Kira was in the front chattering away, and I was half-listening when I hear her say, "...and we should never say the F-word, right Mom?" "Um, yeah, we shouldn't. Wait, um, what is the F-word?" I say, casually. "Oh Mom! You know. F-A-T!!", she spells. "Ohhh, right, yes, we shouldn't use that word." :) I wish that were the only word we had to worry about....Wouldn't it be nice not to have to worry about other words in movies or books :)??
Well, that's mostly it. We got the kids' grade reports and next year's teacher assignments. They all did really well, and Kate got Mrs. Porras for the 4th grade; Brynna will have Mrs. Byrd for 3rd grade (whom she's excited and pleased about) and Kira will have Mrs. Lopez for 1st grade (whom I've also heard good things about).
Some pics to end with:
Our new little apple tree
The tomato garden (a row anyway)
Kira with her kindergarten teacher, Mrs Slade
Kira receiving her certificate from Mrs Slade at her 'kindergarten graduation'
Kira & Lissy
I took this during the rainy weather days we had a week or so ago. Looking east (did everyone in town look west to see the rainbow? Just curious. It looked right next to the houses to the east of us, but maybe it's a trick on the eyes and everyone else in town looked east also to see it. I don't know, I'm not smart enough to know the answer. Anyone else know?)
This is what Lissy would wear all day every day if she could. I had her turn around so I could take her picture, and she did a "Miss America" pose -- haha.







No comments:
Post a Comment