Tuesday, May 12, 2009

What's up with me

I have the kids off to bed, thanks to Jim's help. Some days (and this was one of them) I just can't take another minute with them. So bad, especially after Mother's Day and all those talks about nice patient moms. I had 8 girls here this afternoon, though: my 4, my 3 nieces, and the next door neighbor girl, and Jim didn't get home till after 6:30 pm, so it was just me with loud wild children that argue all the time with each other -- what is up with that?? It seems like my kids are going through a nasty phase of fighting all the time. Does anyone have any suggestions besides me (shouting), Stop arguing! Ugh.

Anyway, I'm almost done with planting in my garden; I keep adding more rows, but I think I'll stop now, and just maintain the garden. Except I have 2 more rows to do with butternut squash, and maybe romaine lettuce. I have been obsessed with gardening (which is completely new for me!). I've been working every day on it, and it's almost all I talk about with Jim, who is not as enthused, but tolerant of my excitement. I've just never had a real garden before where I start with seeds! Except I bought 2 tomato plants today; oh, and my neighbor gave me some radish plants that she had started in a little pot. But everything else is with seeds: watermelon, cantaloupe, corn, yellow squash, zucchini, carrots, cabbage, cucumbers, and peas (plus the butternut & lettuce). Huh, that's a lot!

Well, I had a good Mother's Day (except for feeling guilty during the M-day talks about wonderful moms). Just kidding, sort of. My celebration actually started on Saturday -- Kate & Brynna made lunch for everyone, so I didn't have to: ham & cheese sandwiches and sliced bananas. Then Jim made dinner for us that night: grilled steaks - yum! On Sunday, we had a potluck dinner of Navajo tacos for my mother-in-law with the whole family -- that was yummy, too!

Well, 2 more weeks of school! The girls and I are going to spend a week in Buckeye/valley area after school lets out -- kind of a kick off to our summer vacation. That'll be nice to hang out with family.

Okay, I guess that's mainly it with news -- here's some more pics taken recently:


This was taken on Saturday -- the girls were helping me plant watermelon seeds here.


Brynna posing by the irises -- these were planted by K Lyman -- actually, everything but my own little garden was planted by K -- I just try to keep it going!


Another garden picture taken this morning after corn planting, but before tomato planting.


Kira & Lissy -- notice Kira's still in her pajamas -- I cannot get her to change out of pajamas in the morning! She insists on wearing them all morning...


In the rose garden -- those red flowers are the first ones to bloom -- they're gorgeous, but I don't know what kind they are!



Found a snake today and managed to catch it, so kids could look at it. Kate seemed a little concerned at first, kept commenting about the diamond pattern on it, like it was a diamondback, but I said there were no rattles, so we're okay. No one else was brave enough to hold it, though -- it was a bigger one.

7 comments:

  1. Yikes! I can't believe you picked up that huge snake. I thought it looked like it had diamonds on it too.
    That's cool your adding to your garden. I just planted three blueberry bushes today:)and was off the charts excited about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you girls get a kick out of snakes--seriously--that's gross Just kidding (but not really). I'm glad to hear that some one else's kids fight non stop. Is this just a phase?? I'm not too sure. It seems like they have been doing this for a long, long time. AND what's with kids wanting to hang out in their pjs all dang day? I have to practically throw my kids in the shower in the mornings. You are the best mom I know:--REALLY!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kids fight all the time too, well the girls do, Saturday afternoon I was so mad at them that I told them to pack up all of their stuff and move outside to the dog house, they cried and said they wouldn't fight anymore, then not 10 minutes later they were at it again, so then I told Stasia to pack up her stuff and move downstairs to the guest bedroom. So funny she actually started packing, crying the whole time about how she didn't want to live downstairs by herself, and Korky is crying that she can't sleep alone at night and she'll miss Stasia if she moves downstairs! I yell alot too, don't feel bad! You are a great mom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My girls are too young to fight--but Ellee sure doesn't mind fighting other kids. It's great when your kid is the initiator too. :) I'm sure people see us coming and want to run the other way. Your garden is awesome! I'm excited to have one--but it'll probably be next year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. First of all there is no way in heck I would be brave enough to pick up a snake. I have moved one out of the yard with a shovel but that was in St. David.

    Second you asked about advice for kids that fight. Well the only thing I can think of is duck tape but that probably wouldn't go over to well. My kids are fighting a lot also. No I have not used duck tape yet!:

    Three your garden looks good.

    Fourth you will have to come check out my blog for the news I have to share.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I personally like snakes and think that one is pretty nifty. Nathan and Aubrey love it when we find a snake in the yard, but my younger ones are a little freaked still. BUT....if I see a rodent of any kind I am sqealling like a banshee. YUCK. My kids fight all the time too. Especially Aubrey and Emily. I probably yell too much... bad example. "STOP SCREAMING AND FIGHTING" as I am screaming it at them! HA. Garden is lookin' good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your comments -- I'm glad to know that my kids aren't the only ones fighting all the time! It just seems nastier than usual with them, and so I'm hoping the nasty negativity is a phase... or maybe not. Ugh.

    Also, Valerie, I'm glad to read that I'm not the only one who DOESN'T run screaming from snakes -- just kidding. I think they're kind of cool, as long as they're not too big or poisonous, of course. Funny, though, I used to have snake nightmares as a young kid, but guess I got over that!

    ReplyDelete