Yikes! I'm supposed to be cleaning, but I was checking emails and then had to peek at my blog to see if anyone else has updated theirs, and no one has since yesterday. And so here I am updating mine. Oh well. I can clean later, right?
So last week my sister, Cristeen, and sister-in-law, Annie, and her 2 1/2 year old son Daniel, came to stay with me for 4 days. It was fun! We stayed up till midnight every night talking, watching movies, or playing games. And of course, had lots of desserts!
On Thursday morning, the last full day that they were here: Lissy got into a baggy of medicine (Extra Strength Tylenol) of my sister's. I found one that looked sucked on, but nothing else, and she hadn't been in her room long. I called Poison Control and they said to take her to the ER to get her blood tested for toxicity if there's any chance she swallowed 3-4 of the tablets. I didn't think she had swallowed any, but we didn't KNOW for sure. So, I took her to the ER and we got in right away and after going through all the paperwork involved, 3 nurses came to hold her down and put an IV needle in her (just in case she would need medicine later). Lissy did really well; she didn't cry with the first stick, and they had to try again, because that one didn't work. The second stick, she fussed a little, but they got it in and took her blood, then wrapped up her arm with a splint with the needle still in it.
The first results came out low to nothing, and I was told that we'd have to wait 4 hours in the room and then she'd get tested again (standard procedure). So we did. Jim brought Cristeen to the hospital to spend the afternoon with me and brought some lunch. Lissy just walked about the room and played -- she did very well; I know she was tired, but she didn't fuss much. When they came to stick her again (4 hours later), they had to stick twice again because it didn't work the first time, and she never cried at all! I was so amazed! As were the nurses; they asked if she's always like this, but she screams when she gets shots, so no. The last results were low to negligible, so we were free to go! I had left home at 9:30 that morning; I left the hospital at 2:30pm, then we ran some errands before going home; kind of a waste of a day with company visiting. Oh well, life happens, I guess; I'm glad it turned out well.
Actually, I was SO grateful that we didn't have a real emergency. While waiting behind our curtains in the hospital, another patient came in to the bed next to us. We were so close we couldn't help but hear what was going on. It was a little girl about the same age as Lissy crying her heart out; she had stuck her hand in her mother's teacup of boiling water she had just poured in. It was so sad to hear her crying so hard, and they had to stick her with an IV also to give her pain meds. I just felt so grateful that I didn't have to deal with that, and so sad that someone else did. It was heartbreaking to hear.
Well, I better get back to work: Lissy is complaining and getting mad at me. Time to go! Maybe I'll write more later...
We had a great time! Thanks for putting us up. And I still need to get that coconut cream pie recipe from you; I've been thinking about that yummy filling.
ReplyDeleteI found the leftover filling the other day and it's still good! I'll email the recipe to you. We had a good time, too!
ReplyDeleteI found the leftover filling the other day and it's still good! I'll email the recipe to you. We had a good time, too!
ReplyDeleteGlad she's okay!!! Scary!
ReplyDeleteI am glad she is okay. You never know with kids. Hey you will have to forward me that recipe also. :)
ReplyDelete