Well, another exciting week... or something anyway. I just wanted to replace that nasty spider post, since I'm so over the whole thinking 'tarantulas are cool' now. I posted a pic on facebook this week after discovering what I thought was a baby tarantula on Kate's BED -- yes, you read right -- her bed; how disgusting, nauseating, revolting, all those things. I'm thinking now it wasn't a baby tarantula, but some kind of hairy spider, but still! I was so sick to my stomach that day with my skin crawling. And Kate has not slept in her bed this week -- can't say I blame her... **By the way, Kate was not sleeping in her bed when she discovered the spider, thank goodness -- she was up on her top bunk fixing her blankets when she called out to me, "Mom!!!! There's a weird spider on my bed -- like one I've never seen before!!!" I ran to see, then scooped it up in a jar, so we could figure out what kind it was and it just made me shudder every time I saw it. I will not post a picture of it, because I'm sick of looking at spiders, and I'm sure you guys are, too, right??
So, anyway, this week was our first full week of school. Kids are still liking it, but have the 'after school grouchies' which always seems to take place at the first of the year as they adjust to being in school all day again. Not fun to be around, but if I have a snack ready when they get home it helps. Just takes awhile... This year seems extra busy or something -- more going on I guess than other years. Or maybe because Kate's in a different school, so there's two places to go to pick up kids and more activities after school, too. We signed Brynna up for soccer. She wanted to try again -- we skipped last year -- but she played with her cousins when we visited them this summer, and renewed her interest in the game, so guess we'll try it out.
Well, here's one more out of ordinary thing that happened this week (that I also posted about on facebook): we got to see a black bear running through some land just east of our house. The kids and I were eating breakfast Friday morning, probably just after 6 am, when Jim got a call on his cellphone. He was still in bed. We watched him as he headed out the front door still talking on the phone. I figured something was up, so I followed him out, and the girls did, too. I could hear him saying on the phone, "Yeah, I see it." I looked where he was looking, and saw a black shape, bigger than a dog, loping along. Is that a bear??? Yep. It was far enough away, and within a fence that we felt safe enough to watch it. It was heading south, and pretty soon we couldn't see it anymore. I went around to the back of our house to see if I could still see it, and found some people parked in a car between our house and our neighbor's house to the south who were watching it also. Later, we heard that a man in our ward was tracking it with his dogs and the bear turned on him and he shot and killed it. I was relieved, though I kind of felt sorry for the bear who was out of its element for I don't know what reason... looking for food? All I could think about was that bear attack in Pinetop, and how my kids just play outside all the time... scary stuff.
So, anyway, this week was our first full week of school. Kids are still liking it, but have the 'after school grouchies' which always seems to take place at the first of the year as they adjust to being in school all day again. Not fun to be around, but if I have a snack ready when they get home it helps. Just takes awhile... This year seems extra busy or something -- more going on I guess than other years. Or maybe because Kate's in a different school, so there's two places to go to pick up kids and more activities after school, too. We signed Brynna up for soccer. She wanted to try again -- we skipped last year -- but she played with her cousins when we visited them this summer, and renewed her interest in the game, so guess we'll try it out.
Well, here's one more out of ordinary thing that happened this week (that I also posted about on facebook): we got to see a black bear running through some land just east of our house. The kids and I were eating breakfast Friday morning, probably just after 6 am, when Jim got a call on his cellphone. He was still in bed. We watched him as he headed out the front door still talking on the phone. I figured something was up, so I followed him out, and the girls did, too. I could hear him saying on the phone, "Yeah, I see it." I looked where he was looking, and saw a black shape, bigger than a dog, loping along. Is that a bear??? Yep. It was far enough away, and within a fence that we felt safe enough to watch it. It was heading south, and pretty soon we couldn't see it anymore. I went around to the back of our house to see if I could still see it, and found some people parked in a car between our house and our neighbor's house to the south who were watching it also. Later, we heard that a man in our ward was tracking it with his dogs and the bear turned on him and he shot and killed it. I was relieved, though I kind of felt sorry for the bear who was out of its element for I don't know what reason... looking for food? All I could think about was that bear attack in Pinetop, and how my kids just play outside all the time... scary stuff.
No comments:
Post a Comment