Guess it's time to update the blog again! Here's what's been going on around here...
Last month, Kate's 3rd grade class had a poetry contest where each student had to memorize a poem at least 16 lines long and recite it in front of the class for a grade. Kate picked a poem called "My Dog Fred" by Ken Nesbitt (that she found on the Internet). I took a video of her practicing it at home:
So, this year for the first time (since I was a YW) I joined our ward's volleyball team, and have played about 3 games so far. I was really nervous about what kind of team I'd be with -- whether ultra-competitive and thus hating me for screwing up their game or more casual. But I seem to have found just the right team for me! We all seem to be in similar skill levels, thank goodness, so no pressure really. It's funny; everyone expects me to be great at blocking at the net (because of my height), but I'm secretly afraid of the ball coming at me, so my first reaction is to duck. I really need to get over that... Anyway, it's been fun to get out at night, and spend some time with the women in my ward.
Otherwise, I can't think of anything else really. Oh, for those who knew I was taking a break from books: I have ended that break finally. But I actually went nearly 2 months without reading books (of entertainment type), which is really good for me. I was at an obsessed level of reading and it was taking control of me instead of me being able to control it, thus the break to hopefully cure me of that. And it was successful in that part at least! I just wish I was better at making spiritual reading more of a priority, though; I seem to go up and down with that.
Guess I'll end with a couple of pictures of a gorgeous sunset we had a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, my camera (and my picture-taking skills) didn't really do justice to it, but here it is anyway: (I really love the sunsets here, BTW...)
Last month, Kate's 3rd grade class had a poetry contest where each student had to memorize a poem at least 16 lines long and recite it in front of the class for a grade. Kate picked a poem called "My Dog Fred" by Ken Nesbitt (that she found on the Internet). I took a video of her practicing it at home:
I didn't go to her class to hear her recite it, but she said she did okay. And I think she was glad to get it over with! I don't know what kind of grade she ended up with either...but I'm proud of her for doing it!
Also last month, we had my friend's kids stay with us for a week while she was out of town. So, basically there were six girls from ages 9 to 3, plus an almost 18 year old. It was a noisy, busy time, but turned out fun. Arianna (the almost adult) was a lot of help, and it was nice to have someone always there to help with dinner and the clean up afterwards, as she was always willing to do! We played lots of RummiKub, and had a nightly routine of herbal tea with our game. I missed having them stay with us after they left...
So, this year for the first time (since I was a YW) I joined our ward's volleyball team, and have played about 3 games so far. I was really nervous about what kind of team I'd be with -- whether ultra-competitive and thus hating me for screwing up their game or more casual. But I seem to have found just the right team for me! We all seem to be in similar skill levels, thank goodness, so no pressure really. It's funny; everyone expects me to be great at blocking at the net (because of my height), but I'm secretly afraid of the ball coming at me, so my first reaction is to duck. I really need to get over that... Anyway, it's been fun to get out at night, and spend some time with the women in my ward.
Otherwise, I can't think of anything else really. Oh, for those who knew I was taking a break from books: I have ended that break finally. But I actually went nearly 2 months without reading books (of entertainment type), which is really good for me. I was at an obsessed level of reading and it was taking control of me instead of me being able to control it, thus the break to hopefully cure me of that. And it was successful in that part at least! I just wish I was better at making spiritual reading more of a priority, though; I seem to go up and down with that.
Guess I'll end with a couple of pictures of a gorgeous sunset we had a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, my camera (and my picture-taking skills) didn't really do justice to it, but here it is anyway: (I really love the sunsets here, BTW...)
No comments:
Post a Comment