I don't know where these snakes are coming from all of a sudden. Yesterday Susie discovered one under our car when she came to pick up Lori. She warned me about it, and in a flash I ran downstairs to see it. She was surprised that I got down right under the car to look at it. I asked Brynna if she wanted me to pick it up -- she got the wrong idea at first -- she said she would never pick up a snake ever. I said, no, you don't have to pick it up -- I would. So she said sure. And I did. It was medium sized -- anything bigger and I wouldn't have dared. Susie couldn't believe I would pick one up, but I spent my childhood picking up snakes and playing with them. I even had a pet snake at one point. Anyway, I held it for a little while, and Kira and Brynna and even Lori got up their nerve to touch it and then it was time to go pick up Kate, so we let it go.
So, today, Kate came upstairs and said she saw a snake under the truck, and same thing as yesterday, we ran downstairs to look at it. This time it was a tiny garter snake -- really cute. It took a little while to get it out from under the car, but then we finally did and caught it. This time Kira even held it, and Kate, too. And I had Kate run in and get my camera, so I got some pictures! We held it for awhile, then let it go. Maybe the snakes are getting ready to hibernate, and that's why we're seeing them around -- I don't know, but it's kind of cool. I mean as long as they're not rattlers, obviously.
Kira and snake.
Kate with snake.
Wow, never thought I'd see your kids holding snakes! That's great they aren't scared of them.
ReplyDeleteVery cool that they're holding it! We haven't had a run-in with a snake yet. They're cute little tiny ones!
ReplyDeleteWow, you are so much braver then I am with snakes. I a really small one when I was down at my parents house and I had to get my brother to move it because I get so freaked out. I can handle lots of animals but snakes and chickens totally freak me out.
ReplyDelete