June 18, 2007
We had our baby girl, Alyssa Eva, on June 14th. I had started bleeding early morning on the 13th, and we went to the hospital; I didn't bleed anymore after that, but my doctor was concerned that if I started bleeding again, it might not stop that time. So, I had an amnio that morning to check if the baby's lungs were developed and the results came back positive, so they made plans to take her out the next day. She came a month early and weighed 6 lbs. 5 oz. and was 18 1/2" long. She was in good health, except she had a hard time breathing, and it turns out her lungs were premature -- so she was flown down (on the 15th) to Thunderbird Samaritan hospital where they have better facilities to take care of her. I was able to be released from the Navapache hospital in Show Low, Sat. morning (16th), and Jim and I drove down to see her that day. Jim's brother, Joe and his wife, Colene, live about a mile & 1/2 from Thunderbird hospital and they have been very kind in opening their house to us to stay with them while Alyssa gets better. The other kids have been staying with Grandma in Buckeye during all this.
And Alyssa is getting better already! She's completely off oxygen; her stats all look good -- they'll keep her in the hospital till she's able to maintain her temperature outside her isolette, and able to eat regularly (she's been on a feeding tube), etc. Last night, Jim and I were able to spend an hour with her actually awake for once and looking at us, and I got to feed her and burp her. She's a sweet baby with dark hair and a lot of Jim's features -- (everyone who has seen her recognizes Jim as the Dad!). I'll send pictures some time when I'm back at my own computer.
Meanwhile, we are at Joe & Colene's house -- well, I am -- Jim had to head back to Snowflake early this morning to get back to work. We're doing well -- happy and relieved that Alyssa is fine and improving every day.
June 20, 2007
Alyssa is doing really well -- she's being treated for jaundice now, but she's eating well and progressing. I get to see her every day, but I have to rely on other people's schedules to catch a ride to the hospital. Colene and I think she looks just like her Grandpa Johnston -- it's almost uncanny -- but of course, in a much cuter way. She's a cutie.
June 23, 2007
Well, Alyssa was finally released Thursday evening and we headed back to Snowflake Friday morning -- we were hoping to stay in Phoenix till Sat or Sun, but the NICU required that we see a pediatrician the day or 2 days after releasing her. Grrr -- but they're doing their job, I guess, and Alyssa turned out to be just fine when checked by her pediatrician.
She's doing well -- just eating and sleeping a lot. We're glad to finally be at home!

At 6 days old
I'd forgotten how tiny she was!
10 days old
6 weeks old
3 months old
5 months old
8 months old
11 months old
15 months oldI can't believe my baby is growing up so fast!
She's so cute! Happy Birthday Lissy! She did look tiny in the baby pictures, but Graham was about that size too, guess he was tiny once too. LOL It was fun to read about her, I am so thankful none of my babies had problems, I would have been out of my mind if they had to take one of them to another hospital so far away. You must be one strong lady!
ReplyDeleteWow, that would be such a difficult situation. I remember when you guys were going through that. I am glad she is healthy and doing well now.
ReplyDeleteShe is a cute girl!
How fun it is to see baby pictures again. She is so cute. Happy Birthday Lissy. I'm so glad to know you all.
ReplyDelete